Affordable, nourishing quarantine meals.
Hello, you. How are you doing staying at home? I have a few blog posts coming about how quarantine has been for myself and my family. Today, I wanted to share a recipe I threw together using ingredients I had on hand in the cupboards and the vegetable drawer. If you'd like to make this, you can play around by adding things you like or subbing ingredients with what you have on hand. I will list below the video exactly what I used.
Hearty, Vegetarian Pantry Pasta
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped (you can use a bell pepper, i just prefer some heat)
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (omit cheese to keep the dish vegan)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- olive oil
- any half used jars of sauce in your fridge (if you want to use up what you have - not a necessary step)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (I used diced, it's all I had on hand)
(If you don't have fresh veggies, you can use canned or frozen. There are no rigid rules to making this meal.)
Substitutions: For a hearty meat ragu, add crumbled Italian sausage to the veggies and saute together. Deglaze the pot with chicken broth.
For a meatier ragu, use a ground meatloaf mix (veal / pork / beef), and deglaze the pot with beef broth or red wine.
Now watch the video to see it come together.
I hope that you are well and safe.